Why choose Applied Science?
Science-based careers form one of the largest employment areas in the UK and as such, there are an extremely wide variety of employment opportunities for those who have an interest in this exciting sector.Back to top
What will I learn in Year 12 and how will it be assessed?
In Year 12 you will study:
• Unit 1 – Key concepts in Science
• Unit 2 – Applied experimental techniques and practical work
• Unit 3 – Science in the modern world
At the end of Year 12 you will be entered for the Level 3 Certificate in Applied Science
The papers and portfolio will assess the content and skills covered in the first year of the course.
• Exam: Unit 1 – 1.5 hours – 33.3% of Certificate
• Exam: Unit 3 – 1.5 hours – 33.3% of Certificate
• Coursework: Unit 2 – 33.3% of Certificate
There will be the opportunity to re-sit the exams once more in January 2019 or June 2019, should this be necessary.
What will I learn in Year 13 Applied Science and how will it be assessed?
Back to top
In Year 13 you will study:
• Unit 4 – The Human body
• Unit 5 – Investigating Science and further practical work
• Unit 6 – Medical Physics
At the end of Year 13 you will be entered for the Level 3 Extended Certificate in Applied Science. This will include your results from Units 1, 2 and 3, where each count for 16.6%,
in addition to:
• Exam: Unit 4 – 1.5 hours – 16.6% of Extended Certificate
• Coursework: Unit 5 – 1.5 hours – 16.6% of Extended Certificate
• Coursework: Unit 6 – 16.6% of Extended Certificate
How will I learn?
Studying this qualification will enable learners to develop their knowledge and understanding
of scientific principles, as well as those scientific practical skills recognised by higher education institutions and employers to be most important. The qualification also offers learners an opportunity to develop transferable skills such as problem-solving, research and communication as part of their applied learning.
Learners will cover topics such as:
• scientific principles associated with the application of biology, chemistry and physics
• experimental and practical techniques associated with applied science
• the roles and skills of scientists, and the public and media perception of science.
The AQA Level 3 Certificate in Applied Science has been developed with a wide range of higher education institutions to ensure that the best possible progression opportunities are available to courses at Foundation and/or BSc degree level.Back to top
Not only is Applied Science an appropriate choice for those wishing to become a technician in the science industries or to pursue a sport-related career, but it is also a strong choice if you have aspirations to work as a nurse or physiotherapist, as well as other healthcare professions, including as a paramedic, dietician, podiatrist, radiographer or occupational therapist.Back to top
Further Course Information
The units are graded Pass, Merit or Distinction. The overall qualification is graded as P, M, D and D*.
(Learners must pass each unit in order to pass the qualification).
This qualification contains externally assessed and internally assessed units. Externally assessed units are assessed by written examination. Internally assessed units are externally moderated by AQA.
This qualification is aimed at 16 to 18 year old learners who are in full-time Level 3 education and who wish to progress to higher education and/or pursue a career in the applied science sector.Back to top